The Awards and Recognition Program in congruence with the mission and values of the Massachusetts Latino Police Officer’s Association will serve to recognize the exceptional accomplishments achieved by Latinos within the law enfo rcement field.
- The MLPO Officer of Year Award is awarded for exceptional achievement to the Latino officer who distinguishes himself or herself through superior attention to duty or investigative effort, and whose work exemplifies selfless acts in their commitment to service and community safety. This award highlights not only their selflessness, but also their empathy and strength of character. It provides us an opportunity to showcase both their exceptional work within our chosen profession and the opportunity to emulate these everyday achievements.
- The MLPO Award for Mentorship and/or Sponsorship is awarded to a Latino employee of a Massachusetts police, public safety, or security department who distinguishes themselves by supporting and assisting other Latinos in the law enforcement profession, develops programs or policies favorable to Latinos, and/or serves on committees or within organizations that advocate for Latino issues.
- The MLPO Community Service Award is awarded to a Latino employee of a Massachusetts police, public safety, or security department who distinguishes themselves by developing, designing, implementing, and participating in programs which involve communities and their public safety professionals. The following criteria will be considered for this award:
- Strong commitment to the community
- Passion for crime prevention
- Development of community policing programs
- Community relationship building and development of strong partnerships
- Utilization of various communication tools such as social media, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- The MLPO Leadership Award is awarded to a Latino in the law enforcement profession who distinguishes themselves by superior accomplishment or by continuing long-term to utilize leadership skills that encompass but are not limited to planning skills, problem solving skills, organizational skills, administrative skills, and communication skills which make a significant contribution to their agency or the law enforcement profession.
- The MLPO Life Saving Award is awarded to a Latino employee of a Massachusetts police, public safety, or security department who while on duty or off duty went above and beyond their law enforcement responsibilities in rendering care to a community member or member of their agency in need of medical attention.